Best Eye Care Tips for Children’s Eye
1. Never Leave your children alone with crackers sharp objects like bow and arrow or even pencils for that matter as it can cause eye injury. if that happens, you must get a first aid from your local ophthalmologist.
2. if your child complaints of frequent headaches, fatigue, gets sleepy while studying or prefers to sit in the front row in the class, it might point to an underlying refractive error and needs a checkup by an ophthalmologist detecting refractive errors in children in an early stage is essential to avoid lazy eye in kinds where the vision correction changes are reduced and the best corrected vision is might not be at par with the normal. lazy eye in the kids where the vision correction changes are reduced and the best corrected vision is might not be at par with the normal. Lazy eye can be due to refractive error, squint, congrential cataract etc. eye patching can be done if detected early. if surgery is recommended for squint or congenital cataract, it should be done as early as possible (and not after 18 years as some people recommend). An Example is dr kenneth wright, a famous pediatrics ophthalmologist from Los Angels whose fifth child had squint in infancy child and he did an early surgery with great success.
3. Insect bite to the child near eye can cause allergic reaction which carries a risk of secondary in fection and a timely ophthalmic checkup is a must.
4. If your child has developed eye flu, it is best that you avoid sending the child to school as it is contagious. However, most common cause is viral and mainly supportive treatment is all that is required. However, there is a risk of developing a secondary infection and prophylactic antibiotics may be prescribed. a Visit to an ophthalmologist is advisable.
5. Laser pointers- A Laser pointer with power more than 5 milliwatts when pointed directly into someone’s eyes,can do is blink and to look away. An ophthalmic consultation should be done if that happens. As it is difficult to regulate the labeling done by manufactures, FDA Advise to never aim or shine a laser pointer at anyone and to not but buy laser pointers for your children.
6. Myopia – Main causes of myopia are genetic and environmental. However in some studies, recent epidemic of myopia is believed to be due to urbanization is increased in door activity more use of near vision as in laptops, mobiles etc. So it is better to encourage the kids to go play outdoors and restrict their screen time and your too.
7. Tips for swimming-
a) Pool-Chemicals used to disinfect pool; can cause redness, itching, inflammation, chemical or allergic conjunctivitis.
b) See, Rivers, Lakes etc might have bacteria, manmade pollutants or animal waste in them.
Visit spectra eye hospital for eye treatments