Glaucoma is one of the main causes of blindness worldwide, affecting nearly 60 million people. Treatment can slow down its progression, but there is no cure, this is because glaucoma is controllable with modern treatment and there are many treatment modalities available with the help of which we can slow down its progression from further damaging the eyes.
In glaucoma the loss of sight occurs due to damage to optic nerve, this nerve act as signal transmitter and transfers information from eye to the brain. When damage to optic nerve occurs from glaucoma, patient starts losing peripheral vision. Usually patient report in later stages when the disease is in its advanced stage as central vision remains intact even in advance stage, only peripheral vision loss occurs.
loss of sight from glaucoma.
- Regular exercise: Moderate to vigour physical activities appears to have lowered the risk of developing glaucoma.
- Eating healthy diet rich in nutrient, vitamins and antioxidants.
- Avoid coffee or Drink in moderation / drink tea instead of coffee. Some studies drinking coffee in excess leads to deposition of certain substances like matrix metalloproteinase in eye, which leads to development of glaucoma.
- Avoid smoking / Don’t Smoke
- Avoid drinking too much water in one go, you can drink as much water you feel like drinking in breaks, but avoid consuming in bulk.
- Avoid Neck ties. Studies shows, too tight neck ties may increase blood pressure in the eye leading to glaucoma.
- Get screened regularly for glaucoma after age of 40 especially if you have a family history of glaucoma. Treatment of Glaucoma totally depends on how much you want to work on it. It can be recovered through surgery as well as exercise.